Responsive Ad

Matters Arising From The Tale Of Three Governors 1

My post on the tale of three governors, particularly my adverse comments on Nasir El Rufai, the embattled governor of Kaduna state has attracted me accusation of taking sides with the people of Southern Kaduna( SK) and being unnecessarily too harsh on the Governor. My accusers are simply saying it was an unbalanced comment and I was indirectly accused of harbouring religious sentiments.

If my post is read carefully my grouse with El Rufai is not because he took side with the Fulanis at the detriment of the people of Southern Kaduna. Rather my grouses are on his utterances and actions that had stoked the flame of fire and have compounded the bad security situation. It's alright if an ordinary Fulani man says killing a Fulani man is like taking a loan which you must pay back because he is coming to avenge the death. But for Governor to utter those words wouldn't give other ethnic groups in conflict with the Fulani in the domain the assurance of obtaining justice in His leadership. Furthermore, how can a governor admit paying Fulani ransom not to attack the people of Southern Kaduna and despite the payment, the gruesome murders and destruction of properties continued unabated and not a kobo neither relief materials have been packaged for the victims of the people of SK. Folks there are actions that government take which are not in order and no matter what government will not accept to have done them because they will dent its credibility. It most likely that FGN must have paid huge sums for freeing of chiboks girls but up to now it denies it. CIA had been figured in assassination of some leaders and the overthrow of some govts. Specifically in Africa, CIA was alleged to have masterminded the overthrow Nkameh Nkrumah of Ghana, alleged to have masterminded the assassination of Patrice Lumumba of Congo and our own Murtala Mohammed, but they will never accept involvement in these crimes. In part my local govt ie Demsa when Bala Ngilari was the governor some people in kpasham ward killed some herdsmen. There was arrangement by the umbrella body of Fulani to attack the people of kpasham. The Chief of Staff to Ngillari's govt stroke a deal with the Fulani which he paid ransom and that was the end of the matter. Certain illegal things take place in govt for peace to reign, but are kept in secret to avoid their wider implication, but not El Rufai.

I also pointed out the lopsided appointments made in his government which seem to have frozen the people of the region as they are marginally represented in govt compared to other governors before him and that could have robbed on the conflict. If the excuse is that the people didn't vote for him, I wouldn't buy that because in 2003, the people in other two senatorial district of kaduna other than SK voted massively for GMB and not OBJ, but Obj gave Rufai who hails from one of the districts that didn't vote for OBJ the lucrative FCT ministry, while the SK people that voted massively for OBJ were given minister of state. Obj couldn't even get 25% of the votes in Kano in 2003, but he gave the powerful position of minister of defence to Rabiu Kwakwaso from Kano state.

I'm not alone in this my assessment of El- Rufai as I said a lot people are on the same page with me. Kindly read this excerpts From the column of Hakeem Baba Ahmed in the nation Newspaper, on Wednesday, 28th December 2016. Baba Ahmed is an indigene of kaduna and a Fulani to the core. His thesis tallies with my assertion about the Governor's arrogance and demeaning utterances that had exacerbated the crisis


"Governor El Rufai personality and brand of politics have not prepared him well to deal with the daunting cumulative legacy of Southern kaduna state.....He has been unable to build political bridges with the region, choosing to operate with politicians without any weight in their communities. Prominent politicians and elders from the region who would have been inclined to work with him and for him have been alienated by his tendency to believe all past is a liability and he can create his world... The governor should engage key clergy, community leaders, politicians and elders from the region and other parts of the state to help identify possible solutions in the long term and to bring down tension in the short term... if he is unable to mobilize a lot more than his officials and security agents and re- examine HIS DO-IT- ALL-ALONE PHILOSOPHY TO GET OVER HIS CHALLENGE( emphasis mine), it will be about him. And that will be even a bigger tragedy, because a major part of the problem sees him as the PROBLEM( emphasis mine)"

I have also been accused of having a score to settle with the embattled Governor. My comment was conclusively regarded as personal. Well I wonder why this case of El Rufai should be personal because I have written volumes upon volumes of flaws in the governance of GEJ and that of PMB. While I was full of praises for monumental achievements of SLS as CBN Gov( present Emir of Kano), I had my reservations on the success of the present CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele. I did that based on my analysis of his mission statement if pursued, he was not going to make a success his assignment. Of recent I have supported SLS criticism of his Forex management which just like fuel subsidy is highly infested with corruption. I had written a an article describing Dangote great exploits in two sectors most of our lazy and get rich businessmen dread which are oil refining and agriculture which have high risks and profit from these businesses take years to mature. Based on these therefore, my criticism of El Rufai is based on the fact that, just like others, he is a public officer and as a public officer, concerned and patriotic citizens will point out obvious flaws in any policy that impact negatively on the polity and the Economy. Avery body has his flaws. my flaws if I don't change and I'm saddled pubic position, they will impact negatively in governance. They are loquaciousness, impudence, acidic mouth( verbal diarrhea). These flaws are not subjected to public scrutiny because I'm Mr nobody.

Finally i said if El Rufai doesn't change his temperament and comportment, he MAY( emphasis mine) not make a success of governance. I was not categorical that he wouldn't succeed. I said he MAY not succeed. Before you knew it, I was told he is already successful. I don't know the criteria used, but one of the primary duties of government is protection of lives and properties. Section 14( 2b) of the constitution clearly states " the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government." You can now judge whether in the light of what is happening now in Southern kaduna (where Hakeem Baba Ahmed quoted above says the area is inhabited by a quarter of people of kaduna state ) is in conformity with the sacred provisions of constitution.

I rest my case, but will continue with part 2 and 3. Part 2 will contain excerpts from my review of ELRufai's book in 2013, titled "Accidental public servant" which I did point out these character traits which have now robbed on his governance. Part 3 is comparative analysis of the 2 intellectual giants namely SLS( Emir of Kano) and El Rufai. While the former was able to consign his negative character flaws that impacted negatively in the past, the latter couldn't do that and is now haunting him.
These are my opinions wo which also could have their flaws.

By: Fenny J Fwa

Post a Comment

0 Comments